vineri, 2 noiembrie 2007

The day I fell in love with autumn..



I never used to like autumn. For as far back as I can remember, autumn always made me feel sad, always gave me a feeling of stillness and utter gloominess, similar to the one that the last chapter of a sad love story leaves on us. The autumn rain, its coldness and its dark clouds always reminded me of Emily Bronte's "Wuthering Heights", in which the two lovers Heathcliff and Cathy never end up together. I always picture that book in the dim colors of autumn...

Nevertheless...something changed this year. Just like in one of Emily Bronte's books, when the heroine falls in love with the man she used to despise, this year I fell in love with autumn. It happened unexpectedly, there was no moment of revelation in which I said "I think I'm falling in love", it just happened..like it usually happens in life.

I live in London right next to Regent's Park. Although I grew up next to Tineretului Park in Bucharest and I know it by heart...I can truly say that Regent's Park is probably the most beautiful park I've ever seen. It doesn't have statues, such as Vigeland Park in Oslo, it's nor that famous, nor that full of life and people like other parks in the world. It is, however, the park in which I've witnessed...yes...witnessed...the most wonderful autumn ever. It's in this park that I've for the first time in my entire life the urge of laying down on the yellow and reddish carpet of leaves, laid back and facing the sky, counting the clouds in the sweet drunkenness of the fresh autumn air.

It is Regent's Park the place of my morning strolls, with a bag of nuts in one hand, for feeeding the squirrels(that would just look at me with their big curious eyes...)and with the camera in the other, taking photos of this amazingly beautiful nature. Every time I see Regent's Park I feel incredibly lucky just for being there, for being able to lay my eyes on the fresh green grass, on the perfect yellow leaves, on the cloudy but beautiful sky...I truly feel and am blessed...



I forgot to mention, but Regent's Park is actually the park of my college here in London. Webster University is part of Regent's College, along with London School of Business and other 5 academic institutions, so I get to walk through Regent's Park on my way to classes. During the breaks, I just buy a sushi-set from the cafeteria and sit on the green grass to eat it...it's my little way of spoiling myself and enjoying a beautiful sunny day :)

If you've ever seen ,,American Beauty"...being in Regent's Park constantly reminds me of the scene with the plastic bag "dancing" in the air. And the words of the boy: "How can you stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in...".



And indeed...there is so much beauty in the world. You just have to keep your eyes wide open so that you can notice it. And try to have your heart open as well...

Niciun comentariu: